Use these links to jump to the resource on this page
Help spread the word
Promo tools to recruit beta leaders or participants
Tools for beta leaders
Promo tools to help beta leaders recruit participants
2.5-minute promo video
5.5-minute deep-dive video
Full news release
For more information: Sara Weinert, email@example.com
DISCIPLE Goes Digital: New App Introduces the Next Generation of the Popular Bible Study
May 1, 2023 – For 35 years, the DISCIPLE Bible Study series has been transforming millions of lives around the world with its print editions, and the popular curriculum is now going digital, the Richard and Julia Wilke Institute for Discipleship and the United Methodist Publishing House jointly announced today.
Two 24-week studies in the Disciple Fast Track series will be the first offerings on the brand-new BeADisciple Study App, created by the Institute for Discipleship to offer a wide assortment of small-group study material.
“This new version combines the robust impact of DISCIPLE with the infinite reach of digital communication,” said Neil Alexander, former publisher and current chief financial officer of the publishing house. “We’re excited that this new means of delivery arrives at a time when people are searching for ways to connect not only to Scripture but also to their community of faith.”
The app, available Aug. 1, will give groups access to the curriculum and the complete CEB Bible — both in text and audio form — on their smartphones, tablets, and computers. Zoom is built into the app to help groups meet remotely, finally allowing them the opportunity to form and engage without geographic boundaries.
“This new generation of DISCIPLE builds on what made the traditional manual-based study so successful,” says Steve Wilke, executive director of the Institute for Discipleship and the son of DISCIPLE’s original authors. “The app gives users all the convenience and adaptability they need in today’s world, as well as a 24/7 opportunity for group connection — something that we couldn’t have dreamed of when the original study was introduced. Plus, we’ve brought in curriculum writers, editors and scholars to update, expand, and revise the material.”
The two DISCIPLE studies, which can be purchased now for download beginning Aug. 1, are designed for groups of eight to 16. Beta groups are now being invited to be “first adopters” and participate in final testing before the app becomes widely available in 2024. Both 24-week studies are adapted from DISCIPLE Fast Track, the streamlined version released by the publishing house in 2016. Beta groups will have early access at a special introductory rate.
For more information, visit BeADiscipleApp.com
Interest postcards (editable)
Sample invitation email from beta leaders (shorter version)
Something new and exciting is on the horizon! A new app for Christian small-group studies is coming our way. Everything you need to participate will be on your phone, tablet, or computer.
I’ll be leading a Disciple Fast Track [I/II] group this [fall/spring] [online/in person]. [Include the date you’ll start and the day/time of your weekly meeting if you’ve already set them]. I can have up to 15 people in my group and I’m really hoping you’ll be one of them. To learn more, visit BeADiscipleApp.com and be sure to watch both videos.
This is going to be life-changing. If you have any interest, please respond and I’ll be happy to tell you more.
[name, phone, email]
Sample invitation email from beta leaders (longer version)
Sample email invite to participants
Something new and exciting is on the horizon! A new app for Christian small-group studies has launched with everything you need to participate via computer, smart phone, or tablet.
I’ll be leading a Disciple Fast Track [I/II] group via the new BeADisciple Study App this [fall/spring] [online/in person].
- The Orientation meeting will take place [day, date, time] [online/in person here: ___] (there is about 1 hour of preparation for this meeting it is critical you complete – it’s in the app).
- Day 1 of daily study will be [day, date].
- Our [75-minute/90-minute] weekly meeting will take place on [day] at [time] starting [date].
I can have up to 15 people join my group and I’m really hoping you’ll be one of them. To learn more about the study and the app, visit BeADiscipleApp.com and be sure to watch both videos.
To join my Study Group:
- Register on the web at app.beadiscipleapp.com/register/.
- Login to the app on the web.
- Click “Browse Studies” and select Disciple Fast Track [I/II].
- Select the Participant Package. Via the website only, it currently costs $45.
- Click “I Have a Study Group ID.” Enter this ID: [A###].
- Complete the purchase process. (Do this via the website, not via the mobile app.)
- If you pre-purchased a Participant Package, enter your code under the My Purchase section.
- Click on the white card on your home page to enter our Study Group portal and get started on the Orientation Assignment.
Bookmark this site on your browser for easy access: app.beadiscipleapp.com/login/.
Also, the mobile version of the app is now available for download from The App Store and Google Play. Once you have purchased the study via the BeADiscipleApp.com website, you can use the mobile app to conveniently take your material along with you.
This is going to be life changing. If you have any interest, please respond and I’ll be happy to tell you more. I’m excited for us to get started!
[name, phone, email]
Sample announcement script for recruiting participants
(Ask pastor to introduce you by name or introduce yourself by name)
I will be leading a Disciple Fast Track I/II study on a brand new Christian small-group study app. Here’s a video to tell you more:
(play 2 min promo video)
I hope you’re as excited about this opportunity as I am. My group will meet at noon on Tuesdays, starting August 15. The study lasts 24 weeks. . I’ll be at the back after worship, so please come talk to me if you’re interested. My name again is John Stricker. I’d love to have you join me!
(Ask pastor to introduce you by name or introduce yourself by name)
I will be leading a Disciple Fast Track I/II study on a brand new Christian small-group studies app.
I can have up to 15 people in my group, everything you need is in the app. The new format allows you to participate from anywhere, even if you’re travelling.
I can have up to 15 people in my group, and everything you need is on the app, including the entire Bible. The technology allows you to participate from anywhere, even if you’re traveling.
I hope you’re as excited about this opportunity as I am. My group will meet at noon on Tuesdays, starting August 15. The study lasts 24 weeks. I’ll be at the back after worship, so please come talk to me if you’re interested. My name again is John Stricker. I’d love to have you join me!
Group-interest postcards (editable)-
Customize these postcards and print them out for bulletin inserts and handouts to recruit participants.
For those who fill out postcards, offer to help complete the signup process at BeADiscipleApp.com.
Sample agenda for an informational meeting about the app
Informational meeting agenda
for prospective beta leaders and/or participants
- Welcome guests and thank them for attending. Open in prayer.
- “I’m excited to tell you about this new opportunity for small-group Christian study. The BeADisciple Study App is coming our way, and the first studies offered are Disciple Fast Track I and II. We’re looking for volunteers to lead groups beginning this fall and for participants to join these groups. Let me begin by showing you an overview video.
- Screen the promo video found on the homepage of BeADiscipleApp.com.
- “I know you probably have questions already, but first I want to show you an in-depth video on using the app, and I think this will answer some of your questions.
- Screen the in-depth video linked below the promo video (also found under ‘THE APP’ > ‘App Features’ in the site menu). Highlight anything else on the website that you want to point out.
- “Before I answer your questions, let me share with you our hope: We want to start [add number] Disciple Fast Track groups beginning in [add time reference]. It’s a 24-week study, but there will be a break during the holidays, and then we’ll finish in the spring.” (Note: While completing Disciple Fast Track I is not a requirement to taking Disciple Fast Track II, it is highly recommended. If you have offered the first study in the series in previous years, you will want to offer graduates Disciple Fast Track II.)
- “For those of you who may be willing to lead, as you learned in the video, all leader training is included.” (Add if applicable: “Our church budget will pay the cost for our leaders. Participants will pay for their study unless a scholarship is needed.”) “The leader guide makes this study easy to facilitate. All you really need is a heart for helping your group, a commitment to complete the weekly readings like everyone else, plus an additional half-hour to review each week’s leader guide before meetings.”
- “If you want to participate, please let me know whether you’re interested in Disciple Fast Track I or II. You will receive an invitation once we’ve recruited leaders.”
- Take questions.
- Close in prayer.